Friday, April 15, 2005

More on the Avenues

It is interesting, almost selfish at first, to consider or remember the reward (i.e. your reward) when loving others. Immediately my mind reguritates 1 cor. 13, where I learned that “love seeks no its own.” In other words, love is not selfish. I would venture to say that the church is inidated with this mentality, that we should not consider or remember the reward when loving others because it taints the act of “love” by securing a wrong motive. I think that my thoughts on loving others have far to long found rest in that mentality, only now to see a possible means for coexistance between having a pure motive and remembering the reward when loving others. C.S. Lewis wrote that there are two different types of rewards, one “which has no natural connection with the things you do to earn it” and one “that is not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consumation.” Therefore, in loving others my reward is finding joy and satisfaction in the joy and satisfaction of another. Still more to follow…

Click here for a more thorough explanation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home