Wednesday, June 15, 2005

"The Secret of Life"

Last Sunday at church the teacher made this statement, ?The secret of life is?balance.? After making a claim with the all the hype of the mystery of life I was eagerly anticipating a biblical defense, because in my mind the statement carried much weight. The notion of the statement being a hyperbole can be dismissed immediately due to the context of the lesson. From my perspective the lesson carried too many presuppositions that should have been included, along with solid definitions, in the framework. It is hard for me to state the presuppositions and the definitions because of the rapid movement between differing ideas. This was much of the problem. Without clear meanings of words and ideas everyone was left to their own personal presuppositions and definitions. In addition, the lesson moved into broader generalizations (cooperate verses individual) that led to confusion among the group of listeners. There was no biblical support of the statement in my opinion. There is another problem here, but I will leave it alone for now. However, I was struck by a comment made from one of the students. Her comment was that in the Christian life there are absolutes and within these absolutes there is freedom. I guess one could liken this idea to a race. The track is the absolute, however, not every person takes the same line. The driver has the freedom to take whichever line he or she chooses. Am I to seek balance or to enjoy freedom? Do they fit together? Is balance the secret of life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home